Friday, August 14, 2009

Tackling one of the "not one anothers"

Gal 5:13 For ye, brethren, were called for freedom; only use not your freedom for an occasion to the flesh, but through love be servants one to another.
Gal 5:14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Gal 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
Gal 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary the one to the other; that ye may not do the things that ye would.

There is so much to be said from this passage when we see the context of it. I am going to stick to verse 15 for now. This is the negative side of "one anothering" and I hate to have to admit that at times I have been guilty of talking badly, jesting coarsely, and spending my time tearing down instead of edifying my brothers and sisters in Christ. Often I have what I feel to be a valid complaint. Not always has someone wronged me, per se, but that I see the body is suffering in consequence of someone's actions indirectly. Of course, logically this would be best remedied by complaining, railing, and gossip, right? WRONG!

Q: So, is it my place to complain and talk badly about my fellow laborers in Christ?
A: Eph 4:32 and be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, even as God also in Christ forgave you.

Q: Is it acceptable before the Lord to have an attitude in my prayer of pride and spite?
A: Mat 6:14 "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. "
Luk 18:10 -14(speaking of the publican and the Pharisee)"for every one that exalteth himself shall be humbled; but he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

Q: What would be an acceptable time to "air out" our differences, and what could be roadblocks to finding solutions?
A: Read Matthew 18:12-20 and see what Jesus said about the situation. There are other passages, look around and see the Bible is rich in examples, teaching, and daily life experiences of many who came before us and did things God's way.

We ought always to find these answers in God's Word, our final authority on all things. When we have troubles, we will find our answers when we submit ourselves to God, coming fervently and humbly in prayer. We must pour out all that is self and simply submit to all the Lord has for us, all that He has commanded us to do.

Some may feel that I have left this incomplete, and I have for this reason. The best way to learn is not to ask someone for the answer, but rather seeking the answers from God's Word. Studying to show ourselves approved unto God is a privilege that we have as believers, at least in my country, have taken for granted far too long. Too often we think it is the job of the pastor or teacher to instruct us in all things, yet God desires us to be committed to His Word not just on Sundays or mid week services, but all days. Let's work together to not just practice one anothering, but to truly seek God each day. If we take the time to pray about our struggles and listen to God's Spirit leading and His Word, we will find we have much less trouble with how to handle things.

I pray this has been a help. I am recruiting a few close brothers and sisters to collaborate on this. All material submitted will be checked carefully with Scripture. Please let me know if something slips by me that is not scripturally accurate. I consider it joy to be able to help in practicing these "one anothers" and look forward to insight from many others. Let God be our guide through His Word, have a great day, and go "one another" someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment